Search This Blog - PAGES are found under "more" in the MOBILE VIEW

Translate

Saturday, October 26, 2024

Jody: No More Homecare

 On Thursday, Jeff from OT said that he would update my file for showers; however, on Friday, the app that Home Care Personnel use was not working, so the person who came Friday morning could not see the updates. So no shower on Friday.

I decided that 5 weeks of strangers every day was enough - it was a mental adjustment every day for me - so I cancelled the visits for the last 4 days. I didn't really want to deal with the skeleton crew on the weekend anyway. And poor George needs a break from strangers every morning too.

This morning I had to psych myself up to take my first solo shower in 5 weeks. I had demonstrated to OT that I was safe, but it is different with slippery soap and running water. I got in and out without incident, moving very cautiously, dried my hair, and got dressed in under an hour, just.  I didn't put on a regular bra this time - who needs that frustration? No makeup today either  - that requires extra time, and I wasn't seeing anyone today. So Yay! I can cross shower off my list, which is half crossed off now. 

Alas, I need a plan for getting in and out of the passenger side of the van. On Thursday, he took me to the driver's side. But that is getting in with my strong side first. The passenger side requires me to get in with my week side first. I am going to have to practice that a few times before I have to go anywhere. Mom will drive me places until the doctor clears me to drive myself. The only thing requiring me to leave home is getting my flu shot, but I haven't booked that yet.

I have been taking all my meals by myself this month since Elle had to go back home. Easy stuff like oatmeal or egg bites for breakfast, noodles or protein bowls for lunch, and pre-made meals for supper. That will continue until I can last long enough upstairs to cook dinners again. 

My adjusted list:

  1. The Day that I can get through a typing test with no silly errors
  2. The Day that I can walk with canes instead of walkers!
  3. The Day I can put a regular bra on without help
  4. The Day that I can walk up the stairs without catching my left foot (I have ordered a step to help me with that exercise)
  5. The Day (or night) that I can get in and out of my bed without a struggle
  6. The Day that I can do standing exercises because I trust my left leg
  7. The Day that I can do regular yoga because I can get up off the floor by myself
  8. The Day I can get into the passenger side of the van without assistance
  9. The Day that I can drive my kid wherever he needs to go
  10. The Day that I can cook supper again for my parents
I'm getting there - October has been a good month and November holds a lot of promise. Still holding steady with the typing - my pinky finger is just not strong enough to avoid silly errors all the time.  Hopefully I can strengthen my shoulder enough to get back that control - it plays an important role in my grip and hand coordination. I do exercises every day to increase its strength and flexibility.

I am lonely here all by myself. Mom is still recovering from her virus, and the furniture upstairs is very low - too low for my knees right now, so I'm not found upstairs very often. I have a comfy chair in my room for visitors, and I will gladly take phone calls. Come by for a visit some time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts...
If you are posting "anonymously" (no email), please end your comments with a first name or initials so that I know it is you!