So I have been doing chair yoga for almost a week now - I feel more secure exercising alone, and it helps me do enough sets of certain movements. I started with sessions on YouTube, but then explored two different apps - both on Instagram. I eventually settled on one, because it has different levels of adaptability and progresses to harder levels. It also has rest times in between exercises to centre breathing and those can be lengthened or shortened as necessary. I am down to 5 seconds in between now. The app has a misleading name: lazy fit. I don't feel lazy doing theses routines. They are remarkably similar to the physio printouts sent home by the hospital for rehab. And since I am on a lengthy wait list for physio, this is really helping with motivation, balance, and repetition.
I start out with the daily challenge as a warm-up, then move to different workouts targeting muscle groups, and finishing with a serenity set that stretches out everything again. Yes, I do feel better each time I do these. Each time I have to do a body twist stretch in each session, I can look more behind me. And I can now put my left hand on the small of my back. I couldn't do that last week! I can also raise my left leg onto a step without dragging it there, so Yay!!
Boy oh boy it is exposing my arthritis! I am getting more strength and control on my left side, but my right side is on fire! I have been having issues with my right hip, knee, and shoulder for years now. Here is hoping that all of this helps with that too. Until it does, Tylenol and Advil to the rescue.
Chair yoga would be awesome in the classroom. The typical daily routine takes less than 10 minutes (as stated before, I add on extra sessions so that I get in 45-60 minutes each time). I would use a basic routine every morning if I was still teaching middle school - get the blood flowing, get the wiggles out, centre racing minds...it would help a lot of kids. And it doesn't feel goofy or childish. Also, no extra equipment needed! I recommend chair yoga to any teacher of middle school or a difficult class in high school.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear your thoughts...
If you are posting "anonymously" (no email), please end your comments with a first name or initials so that I know it is you!