Search This Blog - PAGES are found under "more" in the MOBILE VIEW

Translate

Wednesday, November 20, 2024

Jody:Together Again

 My son moved home last Saturday. It is wonderful to have him home again. We have never been separated this long. I realize that it is only a few years until he might leave home, but this was so sudden, and long. He is still in high school and not yet driving (which is coming in February!) I did not realize there is an app now to learn all the rules (!)

We have been busy decorating the house for the Christmas Season (we wait until after Remembrance Day). This year we got the house floodlights outside all changed to red and green - it looks festive now! And the Nativity Scene was all set up on the weekend; this requires putting a dozen stars on the wall with command hooks and unwrapping almost two-dozen clay figures. Mom has the entire Willow Tree set plus extra angels and trees. We got most of the poinsettias yesterday.  We have all the materials except Command Hooks to festoon the kitchen cupboards with mini-wreaths this year - I'm hoping that it will look a bit more like a Hallmark movie soon. Once it is December, we intend to get a live tree again this year for us downstairs.  I have purchased an ornament to signify the year for my son and I, and with thirty ornaments now, the little artificial tree cannot handle the load. So a bigger tree is needed. 

I am also back into the routine of cooking each night, which is nice. We have had several family favourites this week so far: meatloaf and mashed potatoes, stuffed chicken and rice, perogies and farmer sausage, all with appropriate gravies. On the schedule are lasagne, Kotletten and noodles, chicken in herb and wine sauce, enchiladas, and perhaps Porcupine Balls. And we will be sure to have pizza on Fridays. I'm also hoping to start some Christmas "baking" in the coming weeks. Not a lot, but some. Puppy Chow for the Littles is on the list! Looking up GF stuff for my sister and nieces too. 

I have been driving every day now. For some reason, turning right takes a lot of concentration. I think that my medication for my trigeminal neuralgia is having an unexpected side effect. However, it just means I have to remain highly focussed and I can do it. And each day is getting easier. My son wants to do Christmas Lights Bingo again this year, which pleases me to no end. One year he might say No to our annual tradition with friends, and then I will have to move onto my niece's children - only a few more years until they can read the BINGO sheets!

As stated before, the secret to the dexterity on my left side is my shoulder, so I make sure to work through several stretching exercises each morning. That side does almost everything I tell it to do now, just slower than it used to be. I am hopeful that by my birthday in March, that will be almost the regular speed. Physio called again today. 

I have added a mid-morning snack of Tart Cherry Gelatin (mixed with plain yogurt) to my routine.  Gelatin (more protein) is supposed to help rebuild cartilage, and Tart Cherry Juice is supposed to help with inflammation, blood pressure, and osteoarthritis. It is also supposed to help with muscle repair. So if this works, WIN WIN WIN. My knees have been so painful that they sometimes keep me awake at night, and they definitely restrict my ability to walk and stand for durations that would help me with cardio. 

1 comment:

  1. This the first time I have ever done this! Almost 85 and responding to a blog. Still don't know where the term Blog comes from or what it really means but that's OK, I type away. Good to see that you are making improvement. Great that you can drive and be independent. The Christmas bingo thing sounds like fun. I just started getting our lighting up yesterday. More to do. We have a light snow at the moment. All is quite well - just aging. Hugs to you Jody. B

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts...
If you are posting "anonymously" (no email), please end your comments with a first name or initials so that I know it is you!