Search This Blog - PAGES are found under "more" in the MOBILE VIEW

Translate

Friday, November 15, 2024

Jody: Independence

I am up to nearly 50 wpm. I use "nearly" because it isn't consistent yet. Once I even got 61! But most of the time it is still in the mid-forties. I have to keep reminding myself that healing isn't always linear. 

Yesterday our dishwasher refused to drain. This was a familiar problem to me - this happened seven months ago and we sorted out that it is the excessive length of the drain line that is the issue (we checked out the filter and the garbage disposal before the line). It means clearing out and removing two large drawers of dishes, and then draining the line. I did this all by myself last night, including the removal of the drawers, so my strength has returned significantly. Is the drain unplugged? Nope. It is too long and we cannot find the blockage this time, so a plumber is coming on Saturday to deal with this. 

Mr. Christmas - my son - is also coming Saturday to put up our tree. Last week he helped his aunt decorate her lawn, and it looks fabulous. Now it is our turn. And if you keep reading, you will find out why he is moving back home. Yay!!! I have missed him so much. 

This coming Sunday marks nine (9) weeks since the stroke episode that weakened my left side; I have had three weeks of complete independence at home now - showering, dressing myself,doing my own laundry, taking care of the dog, looking after bills and other administrative tasks, and preparing meals for myself and recently my parents all this past week,  Aside from the showering, dressing myself, and cooking for my parents, everything else I have done since returning from the hospital. One of the last challenges that I have to conquer is driving. Doing everything for the first time again is a mental game as well as a physical one. 

Facts:

  • my right side was not impacted at all by the stroke
  • I have an automatic transmission, so nearly everything is right-side dominant; just some hand indicators are on the left side
  • nobody asked for my license or restricted me from driving at any time
  • I can get into the driver's seat without assistance - the Occupational Therapist ensured that I could get into the van unassisted two weeks ago now
  • my mind is clear, as demonstrated by problem-solving the dishwasher issue
  • I can handle the steps into the house and down to the main level without dragging or catching my foot
  • driving gives me back my independence
  • driving also enables me to meet for Book Club sessions again
  • here's the kicker - my son won't move back home until I can drive him places
I intended to have some short practice sessions this week but the weather has been miserable, and I didn't want to figure out how to get my walker into the van while it rains. So I waited until we had nice weather and then the dog and I went for a practice drive around East Chilliwack. Honestly, after nearly 38 years of driving experience, getting my seat-belt secured and negotiating our double-sloped driveway were the hardest parts. When I back out I have to give it enough gas but not too much, and coming back it is a blind entry until the car is all the way onto the driveway and THEN I can straighten it out. But I did it. And practiced turning in both directions several times each. And kept within speed limits (which is a challenge for me). So that hard part is over. And it wasn't difficult at all to get my walker into the back seat - thank goodness for automatic doors. 

Aside from missing my son, it also means that the neighbour won't have to walk the dog again - tonight will be the last night of that - and he will be able to care for his dog again. Dog walkers are expensive! I will miss my roommate's snoring at night, though. It is very soothing in the dark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts...
If you are posting "anonymously" (no email), please end your comments with a first name or initials so that I know it is you!