My goodness it has been a stressful week!
I came home on a Saturday, when I was told that I would not be going home, so everyone else was away and busy. I am so appreciative to my neighbour who unlocked the house and met the hospital transport, and then got me settled. She was so helpful.
Then we started on making my space more accessible to me and my walkers. One is very steady, but doesn't fit through the bathroom door: I got stuck inside the bathroom at one point. So I have to safely move from one to the other, At night, I just use the one that fits, since I am going in a straight line, more or less. My level of fatigue is noticeable with how much my left foot drags. During the day, I am usually able to lift it now when I walk.
I think we have gotten used to Home Care visits now...and I am referring to me and the dog, George. At first, we were locking him in my son's bedroom, which freaked him out, or putting him outside. But now, we can secure him to my desk and then he hides behind my chair...I cannot pick him up and put him in another room. If I could, then I wouldn't need care, would I? He is after all just reacting to the many strangers. After five days, he is settling quite quickly.
We have reduced the care down from four visits to one or two visits. I really need help with dressing and personal Care...I can make food for myself with one hand if I am seated safely, and do the laundry. Folding clothes is good for my left-hand dexterity. Who knew so much of my left hand was needed to fold a towel or a pair of socks?
We had to fix the auto-lock system (thanks again to another neighbour who knew how to do that) and light the outside staircase (my sister took care of ordering the correct light bulbs), so practical adjustments took time, especially with the long weekend. And even though I had help, so much wonderful help, from so many lovely family members and friends, that was overwhelming at times.
I don't have any strong criticism about Fraser Health Home Care. They were working with a skeleton crew for the long weekend, and so many people have had to spend their days off sick from one virus or another. I think that in the 14+ visits I have had, there have only been two repeats, so each visit means a new person. They have all been very sweet, and very patient. I have had to let all my sense of personal space go, daily. Maybe that is also a factor in the reduction of visits; I can toilet myself during the day, thank you. I have to be very intimate immediately with a perfect stranger, and that is also mentally exhausting.
I have had to put my favourite hobbies on hold: I cannot get to the book club locations physically, and most of the members are too busy to host. September is really busy. There are still books, but reading is hard right now. Listening is better...if I don't fall asleep. Haven't tried crocheting yet...maybe next week. And I haven't had the time or energy for the family tree this week.
You have been in my thoughts daily and I continue to send you love and healing. You were strong the other day when I visited you in hospital and I know you’ll come out on top of this❤️
ReplyDelete💖
DeleteThinking of you often ❤️
ReplyDelete💖
Delete